Belleville Police Department, Illinois
End of Watch: Thursday, April 22, 1915
Tour of Duty: 3 years
Badge Number: Not available
Cause of Death: Electrocuted
Date of Incident: Thursday, April 22, 1915
Weapon Used: Not available
Suspect Info: Not available
Patrolman Christian Peter was electrocuted while checking a street lamp at Sixth and Spring streets.
At 19:45 hours, Patrolman Peter was attempting to get an electric arc street lamp to burn by shaking the steel chain used to raise and lower the lamp. Although the chain was normally harmless, an apparent short circuit occurred causing 4,000 volts of electricity to charge the chain electrocuting Patrolman Peter. He was attended to by a physician at the scene and transported to St. Elizabeth Hospital where he died.
Patrolman Peter had served with the Belleville Police Department for three years. He was survived by his wife, three sons, three daughters, two brothers, five sisters and mother.
From the ODMP